I specialize in preparing clients for unmedicated birth, and for ALL clients I emphasize the daily practices and exercises that will promote a stable pregnancy, optimal strength/flexibility and fetal positioning for birth, and a smooth recovery. I have detailed knowledge, systematic methods, and personal experience to help clients prepare for all of the above. When it comes to your birth and parenting, I have no crusades, no personal agenda. I support your informed choices. I am equally skilled in supporting a woman with an epidural, a woman giving birth via cesarean, and a woman squatting from a birth bar! I serve the greater Charlottesville area.
I will bring to your birth space and your home a calm and kind attentiveness, firm physical and emotional support, a steady presence for you and your family, and evidence-based information as you seek to understand your options. My desire is that your birth and postpartum experience will be positive, empowering, and joyful for you.
My education has little to do with birth work! But it has deeply contributed to who I am. I have a MA in Middle Eastern Studies, and a BA in History, with a minor in Music (violin). My graduate work took me to live in the Middle East for four summer semesters, and my other travels have found me in over twenty countries. After grad school, during which I managed my large violin studio, I taught as a full-time professor at Brigham Young University for several years. I completed my doula training during that period, having felt a strong call to birth work. In a welcome break from academia, I now work professionally as a certified doula.
With my husband and two children, I spend my spare time in the outdoors! We love the hills, rivers and trails of Charlottesville and the Blue Ridge. I believe a happy life is filled with supportive people, wholesome food, continuous learning, and movement in nature. And a little Bach never hurt anyone.
I look forward to supporting you and your family through the excitement and the challenges of this transition.
Training and Experience
- Certified Birth Doula (DONA International)
- Pre-certified Postpartum Doula (ProDoula)
- Rebozo Certified (Gena Kirby method)
- CPR and AED Certified
- DONA International Birth Doula Training
- ProDoula Postpartum Doula Training
- Spinning Babies Training with Gail Tully
- Breastfeeding Basics Training
- Gena Kirby Method Rebozo Training
- Optimal Fetal Positioning Class, Cornerstone Midwifery
- ProDoula Advanced Business Training
- Bradley Method course
- Lamaze course
- Monthly peer review
- Regular birth conferences and webinars
- I have supported births in 14 different hospitals, and have worked with a wide variety of OBs, CNMs, and nurses. I also have supported home births attended by licensed midwives.