As a doula, I do nothing clinical — that’s right, no vaginal exams, blood pressure checks, or temperature readings. So what are prenatal visits all about?
Prenatal visits are a chance to get to know each other, but importantly include the following discussions:
- How to prepare your body for birth and recovery, and stable pregnancy, through alignment, movement, and daily practices
- Your birth options and preferences
- Care providers and delivery options, if you have not yet made these choices
- Risks and benefits of birth options about which you have questions
- Birth physiology and stages of labor
- Positions for optimal labor progress
- Preparation for the unexpected
- Pain management
- Comfort measures for pregnancy and labor (including demonstration and practice)
- Ways your partner can support you
- Ways I can support you and your partner
- Your postpartum plan
- Preparing your body for labor and postpartum recovery
- Anything else you have questions, comments, or concerns about regarding your birth and baby!